We supply to the NHS and private sectors

Permanent, fixed-term, locum and temp roles available across the UK


The GMC (General Medical Council) is the governing body regulating doctors in the UK. To be eligible for work in the UK, all doctors must be registered with a licence to practice.

There are 2 simple steps to complete GMC full registration with a licence to practise:

1st step: Passing IELTS UKVI exam:

  • Since June 2014, all applicants applying for GMC registration are required to take the IELTS UKVI exam to demonstrate their English language skills before applying for GMC registration. The minimum IELTS UKVI overall score required is 7.5.

You can book your IELTS exam online today here.

2nd Step: Graduates from outside of the UK and EEA are required to hold ONE OF the following qualifications:


  • PLAB (Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board) qualifications, conducted by GMC.

Once you have completed the above 2 steps, you can then start your online application with GMC here.

* GP and Specialist Registration:

For further information on gaining entry to the GP or Specialist register, please see GMC's website guidance.



You also must have the right to work in the UK. There are many ways in which you might have this, but the following are some of the most common:

  1. You are a British, European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss citizen;
  2. You have an Ancestry visa; These are available for Commonwealth citizens who can prove that at least one of their grandparents was born in the UK;
  3. You are on a Spouse or Dependent visa; If you are on a visa connected to a family member’s right to be in the UK you can usually work, but there are exceptions;
  4. You have Indefinite Leave to Remain; ILR usually includes the right to work
  5. You are offered a medical job in an NHS Trust who is prepared to provide you with Tier 2 Certificate of Sponsorship (formerly a Work Permit) and,
  6. Suitably qualified postgraduate medical specialists may be eligible for the Medical Training Initiative (subcategory of Tier 5 visa) which involves sponsorship by one of the UK Medical Colleges.



Before commencing work in a NHS Trust, there are a number of NHS Employment Check Standards that need to be met. Your Skilled Medical Recruitment Consultant will support you in addressing those requirements.


For information to assist you in working as a health professional in the United Kingdom, please view our Resources for the UK.


For further information on medical work opportunities in each country, please click on the buttons below:

Skilled Medical is an international medical recruitment, placement and services firm that delivers qualified medical professionals wherever they are needed in Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and Ireland.